Lentils are relatively quick and easy to prepare. They do not require presoaking and cook to tenderness in only 20 or 30 minutes.
“Healthy Heart” Cookbook – American Medical Association- inspired me for this recipe : a really good book to eat and live well, a book to fight heart disease.
It’s wonderful, the green onions – that I added just at the end – give a super flavor and the cooking is perfect!
Serving : 2-3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups fat-free, no-salt vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 green onions (scallions), chopped
- pepper and salt
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onion and sauté until soft, about 3 or 4 minutes. Carefully add the broth and 1/4 cup of water and bring to boil
- Add the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the green onions, pepper and salt. Stir or combine and cook for about 1 or 2 minutes longer. Serve hot (making a satisfying side dish) or cold with a vinegar of your choice.