I just spent 2 wonderful weeks. My niece, Araceli came to visit us with her boyfriend, David. I love to have my family at home. We were so excited to have them for a few days.
David is a French cook, a great cook! How I was so fortunate to have him in my kitchen. It’s a dream to have guests and in the same time a chef.
Everyday they cooked a meal for us. When I came back from work, it was ready to eat. I appreciated it very much.
David taught me a new technique to cook carrots on the stove. Pour olive oil in a pan, toss the carrots in olive oil, covered and add a small amount of cold water, cook until crisp-tender. I love this recipe!
They also gave me a delicious apple cake recipe, can’t wait to make it and post it.
This morning, I went back to cooking in my kitchen and baked brownies.
“A Taste of Charleston South Carolina, Restaurants Recipes” is one of my best cookbook. I find the best desserts and the best dishes of famous restaurants in Charleston. I already made the chocolate mousse –Ambrosia Bread & Pastries, Charleston-, it was scrumptious.
I love this cookbook, because it’s easy to recreate every recipe. And it reminds me of my vacation last summer in South Carolina. I would love to return to spend a few days 🙂
These Cream Cheese Brownies –Magnolia’s, Charleston– are incredibly good. They are so chocolaty. And the cream cheese filling is so sweet.
Serving : 24 squares (2×2 inches) Cook time : 40-45 minutes Total time : 1h20
- 8 oz. (226 g) sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 oz. (170 g) butter
- 6 oz. (170 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup English walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (440 g) (15.4 oz.) granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (165 g) (5.80 oz.) plain flour
- Melt the chocolate with 3 oz. of the butter over a double boiler, remove and let cool to room temperature.
- Cream the remaining 3 oz. of butter with the cream cheese. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, then blend in 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Beat 4 eggs until opaque, gradually add the 1 1/2 cups remaining sugar and baking powder mixed together, then add salt and remaining flour. Stir in melted chocolate mixture. Add nuts and rest of vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Pour chocolate batter into a greased 8×12 cake pan and fold in the cream cheese batter.
- Bake at 350 degree F. 40-45 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate the brownies until they are firm enough to cut into squares (several hours or even overnight). Once chilled, remove the brownies from the pan by lifting with the ends of the foil and transfer to a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut into 24 squares (2×2 inches). It is a good idea to have a damp cloth nearby to wipe your knife between cuts. These brownies can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Happy Mother’s Day!