Stromboli is my family favorite dinner. I always made it with my 13 y old daughter. It’s a perfect meal that I cook almost every week!
You can choose whatever you want to garnish it, ground beef and green or red bell peper, salami and roasted green pepper, ground beef and pepperoni, ham and spinach. It’s a good way to finish the leftovers.
You can add sliced provolone, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, mozarella or cheddar cheese… Which ever cheese you prefer.
If you’ve never made a stromboli, you can try it. It’s always a sucess 🙂 Stromboli isn’t difficult to make at all.
Yield : 4-6 servings
Prep Time : 20 mn
Cook time : 10 mn
Pizza dough (I used my KitchenAid recipe)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 degre F. to 115 degre F.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-puspose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl. Let rest 10 mn. Add salt, olive oil and 2 1/2 cups flour. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute.
- Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl, about 2 minutes. Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down.
- Brush a pizza pan with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 1/2 lb. pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 10 slices ham
- 12 slices salami
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Shape the pizza dough into a 13-by 20-inch rectangle. Spread pizza sauce over 2/3’s of the dough lengthwise, leaving plain dough along the edges.
- Top sauce with ham, salami and cheese.
- Fold in the sides about 1 inch and brush them with egg. Roll up starting along the long edge of dough.
- Brush the entire stromboli with egg and gently cut slats in the top of the dough every 2 inches. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, cool 5 minutes and slice into pieces.
You can serve it with a salad.