When I read this recipe in Taste of Home magazine – 13 x 9, winter 2016- I was so suspicious about mixing ground beef, egg and biscuit mix. So I made half of the recipe.
But when my son and my daughter tasted it, they said “Can I have more? It’s so delicious.” I was so surprised how good it was. The taco seasoning in the ground beef and the crème fraîche (*) on the top give a great flavor to this casserole. . This Potluck Taco Casserole is an easy and fantastic recipe. It was a huge hit. Next time I will make the whole recipe!
* : I ‘ve used crème fraîche as a substitute for sour cream.
Makes : 8 serving Preparation time : 25 min. Total time : 45 min.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or crème fraîche)
- 2 to 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. (205 degree C.). In a large skillet, cook the beef over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Add the taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions. Spoon meat into a greased 13×9-in. (33×23 cm) baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and milk. Stir in biscuit mix and pepper. Pour over meat. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes.
- Spread sour cream over top; sprinkle with lettuce, tomato, green pepper, onions and cheese.