I love shrimp! My favorite recipe that I used to make for a special occasion is shrimp cooked in a pan with lemon, lime and orange juice. My whole family loves it
Yesterday, I tried a new recipe : Shrimp and Grits.
I have never cooked grits. When I saw this recipe in a cooking magazine, my mouth watered.
I tweaked this recipe from the original one, because I do not like cooked shrimp in broth. I sauté the shrimp in the pan with the bacon drippings. The shrimp were terribly good!
The shrimp turned orange and had a golden crust.
Also, I had no Tabasco sauce in my pantry, so I made the cheese grits with no spicy sauce and added 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the original recipe.
It’s such a delightful dish!
It’s a fantastic recipe to impress your family and your friends.
Easy and fast recipe! I prepared the cheese grits at the same time I was cooking the bacon and shrimp!
Thanks to chef Bill Smith, from Crook’s Corner, the landmark Southern restaurant in Chapell Hill, North Carolina for sharing his recipe (Southern Living magazine- Best Southern Recipes-special anniversary edition 2016).
Serving : 4 Cook time : 25 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
Shrimp and Grits (adapted recipe)
- 8 bacon slices
- 38-40 (peeled, tail on) medium-size raw shrimp (12 oz or 340 g)
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 6 small garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 small fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Cook bacon in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on a paper towels. Crumble bacon.
- Sauté shrimp in the same pan, 1 minutes on each side (until the shrimp are pink).Add garlic and green onions, sauté for one minute. Add hot sauce. Then stir in lemon juice and let cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over hot Cheese Grits; sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Cheese Grits (original recipe)
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter (I used less)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Bring salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add grits, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and remaining ingredients.
“Cette recette de crevettes au citron accompagnées d’une semoule de mais est succulente!”;)