What a wonderful recipe for summer entertaining!
Last week, my friends and I organized a barbecue. Just an evening without our husbands, I love that, ahahah! I was so excited to spend time with my friends, everyone had to come with a dish. Our hostess, Erin, made an Orzo Salad for us, It was so so delicious and I loved the flavors.
I decided to make this recipe, I love it, it’s very easy and excellent with fish or chicken.
Do not hesitate to add kalamata olives and pine nuts if you like these ingredients. I didn’t put them in because of my kids. The toasted pine nuts add a nice rich flavor and the kalamata olives, a mediterranean flavor.
My 15 y. old daughter, who is looking for healthy recipes, was so happy to eat this salad.
This is definitely a great side dish for a cookout, a picnic or simply for a lunch box.
Makes 8 servings Preparation time: 35 minutes
- 4 cups (1 liter) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound (450 g) (16 oz) orzo
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) (1 oz) butter, softened
- 2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved (or diced whole tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup (3-4 tablespoons) kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 7-ounce (about 1 1/2 cups) (6 oz) (170 g) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1/2 cup (3 – 4 tablespoons) pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- Bring broth to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool. Add olive oil and butter.
- Mix tomatoes and olives into orzo. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) Serve with feta, pine nuts, and basil in separate bowls so people, can add their own (it prevents the ingredients from getting soggy).
Note : add chopped cucumber if you like with the tomatoes and olives
“Cette salade méditerranéenne se prépare en un tour de main!”;)