If you are a lover of cornbread, it’s a recipe for you:)
It’s not my first time making a cornbread but it s my first time success it. Usually I missed it, my cornbread is always a little too flat . In the original recipe you have to use all purpose flour. I really wanted to make a beautiful cornbread, so I used self-rising flour.
It’s the perfect bread for Thanksgiving. It’s also a great recipe in summer to eat with a green salad, with a white beans or lentils’ salad with a vinegar dressing.
This cornbread is lightly sweetened. My 18 y. old son and I are addict to this cornbread. The slightly crunchy texture is perfect. It’s SUPER delicious!
I’ll make it again. Thanks Phi from Sweet Phi to share this fantastic recipe.
This cornbread is so easy to make
Preparation time : 10 minutes Total time : 30 minutes
- 1 cup (150 g) (5.3 oz) yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (40 g) (1.40 oz) white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup (32 g) (1.10 oz) all purpose flour (I used self-rising flour – 40 g or 1.40 oz)
- 1/4 cup(50 g) (1.80 oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) (12 oz) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) (1 oz) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup (35 g) (1.20 oz) shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (205 degree C.). Spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with the cooking spray. Put the skillet into the oven as it preheats.
- In a bowl combine yellow and white cornmeal along with the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda, stir so that all the ingredients are mixed.
- In another bowl add the buttermilk, honey, egg and melted butter, stir to combine.
- Slowly pour the dry mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle in the shredded cheddar and stir to mix it in.
- When the oil begins to smoke in the oven (it means it’s time to pour the batter). Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, then pour batter into the skillet (it will sizzle a little). Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top and edges start to turn brown. Serve warm.
“Ce pain de maïs est une réussite!”