Drew Ramsey, MD, author of “Eat Complete : The 21 Nutrients That Fuel Brainpower, Boost Weight Loss, and Transform Your Health” inspired me for this recipe. I recommend this book, full of information. It would also make a great gift.
He talked about the meals of the day : Breakfast — to start the day “eating complete”—, Lunch — some of the recipes in his book are easy to pack in small tupperware — and the last meal, Dinner — two seafood dinners and two vegetarians dinners per week is a good guide to a healthy lifestyle —. He talked also about the 21 Nutrients – Zinc, Probiotics, Vitamin E, K …., Iron, Potassium…
It’s really a great book. You can find healthy recipes : Marinated Kale Salad with shaved Asparagus, Olives and Orange Zest (that I adapted), Berry Spinach Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts, Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho or Toasted Butter Pecan Kefir Sherbet! I can’t wait to try another recipe.
This recipe is amazing. Marinated kale in olive oil makes for a great result, the kale is soft and tender. I love the idea of adding orange, the sweet taste is perfect. This salad is delicious.
Preparation : 15 minutes Cool time : 1 hour Total time : 1h15
- 5 ounce (140 g) baby kale
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon hot or mild paprika
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Tear the kale leaves and place them in a large bowl along with the olive oil. Squeeze the leaves with your fingers, crushing the kale to tenderize it, for about 1 minutes. Using a microplane grater, finely grate the zest of one orange and transfer the zest to the bowl with the kale.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least one hour.
- Just before serving, prepare the oranges. Using a sharp paring knife, remove the orange peel and white pith and thinly slice the orange. Divide the salad in small plates and top with the orange slices and almonds.
“L’orange donne un petit goût sucré à cette salade de kale!”;)