This roasted tomato and caramelized onion sandwich is so good. It’s maybe my best sandwich.
It takes a little bit longer just for a sandwich. Next time I’ll prepare the roasted tomatoes the day before.
What a great idea I had, filling a sandwich with roasted tomato and caramelized onion and grilled it on an electric panini press. I also bought a 100% whole wheat bread, it’s a really great choice.
It was on my to-do list to make sandwiches other than my ham and cheese sandwiches.
I want to make more creative sandwiches, yeah!
For this recipe you need an electric panini press.
Serving : 2 sandwiches Preparation time : 15 minutes Total time : 45 minutes
- 2 tomatoes, sliced and seeds removed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- fresh basil minced (1 leaf)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices whole grains bread
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree F. (235 degree C.).
- Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up (if possible), in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the garlic (over the tomatoes or it’s burned), salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to caramelize.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
- Add the onions; Let the onions cook slowly 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Prepare the sandwich
- On a slice of bread, layer cheddar cheese, roasted tomatoes, caramelized onions and basil, finish with a second slice of bread.
- Cook on a electric press panini until the cheese is melted, 2 or 3 minutes.