These Almond Butter Sticks are so easy and fun to make! I learned a new technique, separating the dough in half and filing it with an almond extract sugar.
The almond extract gives a great flavor to these treats.
With a cup of milk, it’s delish 🙂
What an awesome recipe to make during the holidays!
Recipe source : Saving Room for Dessert
Preparation time : 30 minutes Total time : 55 minutes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon (divided) at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, separated (white is reserved for glazing)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the sugar and almond extract; cover and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 8 tablespoons (1/2) cup butter and cream cheese. Beat on low until blended. Add the egg yolk and blend until smooth. Add half the flour mixture and beat on low until combined, Add the remaining dough and blend just until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead by hand about 25 strokes until the dough is pliable. Roll or press into a 12×12 inch square. Spread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Cut the dough in half and place one half on the prepared cookie sheet, butter side up.
- Spoon the sugar mixture to within 1/2-inch of the dough edges all the way around. Place the remaining dough half, butter side down, over the sugar. Press the edges tightly to seal.
- Brush the dough with a lightly beaten egg white. Sprinkle with almonds and coarse sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. It’s best removed from the oven when you think it needs one or two more minutes.
- Cool at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the pastry in half lengthwise and then into 1/2 to 1 inch strips crosswise.
- Store in an airtight container.
“Voici de beaux après-midi en perspective, à déguster ces delicieuses barres” 😉