I love French crêpes. My husband is also a big fan of crêpes. When I tell him “we are eating crêpes for dinner”, he is so impatient to eat the first bite!
The first crêpe is never a big success, don’t worry about your first one. Continue to cook 🙂
I always make sweet crêpes. We love crêpes with sugar, nutella, jam , salted caramel or just with a dab of melted butter. It’s a perfect dessert! It’s also great for breakfast.
If you want a savory version, do not add sugar or alcohol in your batter, and fill them with whatever you want : a creamy mushroom filling, caramelized onions with spinach and roasted red pepper or just the classic version -egg fried, ham and cheese.
Here is my best recipe for crêpes. I adore Cyril Lignac’s recipes. Thanks to this French Chef for all his wonderful recipes!
Serves : 12 crêpes Preparation time : 10 minutes Resting time for the batter : at least 30 minutes Cook time :35 minutes
- 250 gr (2 cups) flour
- 3 eggs
- 75 cl (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 25 cl (1/2 cup) water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable (or canola) oil
- 2 tablespoons Rum (optional)
- butter (to coat the pan), or vegetable or canola oil
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs with a fork. Set them aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the salt. Pour 1 cup of milk, mix again.
- Add eggs, sugar. Mix well.
- Add the remaining milk, water and oil. And mix well.
- Add rum (optional).
- Rest the dough for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan. Add butter to coat (you only need a light coating). Let sure your pan is hot and pour one ladle of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 2 minutes to medium high heat and flip (I use a spatula to do it). Bring it down to medium heat, cook for another 1 minute and remove it. Lay them out flat on a plate and cover with a dish towel, so they don’t get dry. Continue until all batter is gone (do not forget the butter to coat your pan before pouring a ladle of batter).
“Ces crêpes sont si moelleuses que j’en ferai bien de nouveau ce week-end!” 😉